As I was a little late to change books and it seemed everyone that everyone I asked was happy with their book, I had 2 choices: wait till monday and change with someone who is ready to change again which means I will be wasting more time, or do a book review on some other books. Since I just read this wonderful book and am very excited to share it I thought I will write a review on this book first.
Title
My Family & Other Animals
Author
Gerald Durrell
Summary
This is an extremely delightful, real, childhood story of a famous naturalist. The year was 1935 when Gerald was 10 years old and his family moved from gloomy London to sunny, exotic Corfu. The story focused on the family and how they adjusted to not only a new environment but the constant shock of finding all kinds of strange creatures in unexpected places in the house. These were of course brought back by Gerald from his expeditions around the island. He could not understand why anyone would object to snakes in the bathtub or scorpions on the dining table etc. The book is simply hilarious and the family is amazingly tolerant of each other's eccentricities.
3) What you have learnt or notice from the author about characterisations.
The book is written in the first person account, from young Gerald's point of view. He is very honest in his characterisatin of his family members and friends. He is able to write in such a witty way that even his obnoxious elder brother, Larry appeared funny.
Characters
Gerald
Larry
Leslie
Margo
Mother
Spiro Hakiapoulos
Personalities
Gerald - loves animals of all kind, intelligent and very curious
Larry - bossy, self-centered and arty
Leslie - Good with his hands, crazy over guns and hunting
Margo - Vain and abit empty headed
Mother - tolerant, supportive of her children
Spiro - loud, resourceful, protective of this strange family
How did the personalities play out in the story to make the story more alive and interesting.
The different personalities in the story and their relationship with each other made the story very interesting. Larry is self centered and artsy
eg - He invited his arty friends to stay with them even though there is no room. Then he insisted on shifting to a new villa to accommodate his friend.
'I don't think it's good for us to live like hermits,' said Larry. 'I only invited them for you....' "Well, let's move then. I've offered you a perfectly sensible solution. I don't know what you are arguing about."
Mother seemed to have no control of her children and she cannot seem to say no to them.
eg - "We are not moving to another villa," said mother firmly; "I've made up my mind about that." She straighten her spectacles, gave Larry a defiant glare, and strutted off towards the kitchen, registering determination in every inch.
After all that, the next chapter started with in a new villa.
Margo is a bit empty-headed. When they first arrived in Corfu and stayed at Pension Suite, she did not know that the little box by the toilet bowl is actually for used paper( this system is still in used china now). She used the dirty toilet and was freaked out when her family told her.
Leslie is crazy about hunting and drove the Larry mad with his target practice when Larry was trying to write a book.
Gerald roamed the island, looking for new exotic creatures and have the most marvelous adventures. Once he befriended a prisoner because of a seagull.
d) What did you learn from the author anout building interesting characters?
The author made used of detailed description and powerful vocabulary.
eg - ...passed vineyards where the tiny stunted vines were laced in green leaves, olive groves where the pitted trunks made a hundred astonished faces at us out of the gloom of its own shadow, and great clumps of zebra-striped cane that fluttered their leaves like a multitude of green flags...
The author made use of interesting conversations.
The author loved creatures of all kinds including greepy crawlies. His excitment showed through in the way he wrote about them, making us look at these bugs in a new light.
eg - ...the equally astonishing news that lacewing-flies laid eggs on stilts. This last miracle I was lucky enough to witness. I found a lacewing-fly on the roses and watched her as she climbed about the leaves, admiring her beautiful fragile wings like green glass, and her enormous golden eyes...
5)Recommendation
Absolutely 2 thumbs up. I chanced upon this book when I was looking for something to read myself to sleep. Little did I know that I would like it so much that I cannot put it down. So beware and take care not to read this at night.
Entertainment 5 stars
Learning 5 stars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Interesting book reviews. You really give a good detail of the book. Good job.
ReplyDelete